Content Filtering and Internet Safety
Parents now more than ever have reason to be concerned with online safety practices when their children are actively using the internet for school and social interactions. There are several options to monitor a child’s internet use through Parental Controls.
Parental controls are features which may be included in computers, video games, mobile devices and software that allow parents to restrict the access of content to their children. These controls were created to assist parents in their ability to restrict certain content viewable by their children. Parents may choose to restrict content due to age group, maturity level, or if they feel content is more adult oriented.
Parental Controls Fall into Four Categories:
- Content Filter: Limited access due to age-inappropriate content
- Usage Control: Limit the amount of usage on individual devices such as placing time-limits on usage or forbidding certain types of usage
- Computer Usage Management Tools: Enforces the use of certain software downloaded on specific devices
- Monitoring: Ability to track location and activity when using the devices
Popular Parental Control Options:
- Google’s Safe Search setting is available as a free content filter.
- Kid Safe Browsers are apps that can be downloaded on your child’s device and used as the preferred search engine. Features include age-appropriate content, school research tools, and more.
- Net Nanny is an internet monitoring software. Features of the software include masking profanity, stopping pornography from appearing on the computer, allowing control access set time limits, sending alerts of usage, and allowing multiple user profiles for individual family member needs.
- Qustodio Parental Controls tracks online activity on computers and smartphones. Features of the software include activity reporting, allowing control access set time limits, and filtering technology to protect your child from harmful content.
- Norton Family Premier helps protect your child’s online experience. Features of the software include web supervision, time supervision, personal information protection, video viewing supervision, and more.
- Netsanity guards against harmful content on all Samsung or Apple cell phones and tablets/iPads. Features of this program include app download blockers, device access restrictions, filtering content from popular apps and websites, allowing parents to pause internet and app access, plus much more.